Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rediscovery of Winter


This has been one of the most strange falls that I have experienced up here in Alaska. Meaning that it is November and winter has just come to the Peninsula. Usually fall takes a few weeks to work to completion.
Some say "Good!" We could use a little less winter around here. I say thank goodness we have some snow. I fall into a bit of a rut during the Spring and Fall around here. I find I am not out exploring and that the weather proves to be rainy and boggy. I know it shouldn't keep me indoors, but it does. I do not like freezing rain, but frozen snow ok.
So these last few weeks we have had some snow and the weather has dipped below freezing. Most of our lakes are frozen over, and the cross country ski's are out.
This trip is from a Monday's labors on Seven Lakes Trail off Skilak Road. It is an easy trail, but the snow is not quite deep enough for snow shoes, and its too rocky for cross country skis (again perhaps not enough snow). Engineer lake is frozen, and that might afford some nice laps, if one was so inclined. I decided to mush to the half-way point on this trail- Hidden Lake's backside. One can continue on at an easy pace and connect to Kelly-Peterson Lakes on the other side of this trail where you could have access to the Sterling Highway. I was all by my lonesome (minus Yogi) so I turned around at Hidden Lake. From the Engineer Lake parking lot to Hidden Lake, you pass about 2.65 miles. The next time Im on this trail, I might cut off some time and ski along the banks of Engineer lake, and connect with the trail farther north. The trail itself is mild and soft. Only a small amount of elevation is gained. Its probably rated as an Easy hike for terrain and grade to Moderate for length if you make it all the way to the other lake systems. I am still wondering why they call this trail Seven Lakes Trail. I can count only 5. Kelly, Peterson, Hiker's Lake, Hidden, and Engineer. Thats a mystery.

1 comment:

  1. Did you take the first photo here, the winter scene? I want a copy of it.

    ReplyDelete